Wednesday, May 03, 2017

A New Beginning

In my ideal world I can run as much as I want without any intrusion from the outside world. Alas, this is not my ideal world and real life does have a habit of rearing its head from time to time. Balancing my running life in such a way that it doesn't interfere with work or family is one of the things I had to learn - I like to think I'm pretty good at it.

Sometimes, however, things happen on a grander scale just to be glossed over. Last Friday, after over 13 years, I walked out of the office in Killorglin for the last time, wondering if I was utterly foolish to leave such a save job behind to look at the greener grass on the other side. I spent the weekend at home with the family and on Tuesday loaded up my little car and drove to Dublin. I'm starting my new job on Thursday.

From a running point of view, the timing is less than ideal, with the inevitable stress that comes with such a big change unlikely to be helpful in my preparations for a World Championship. On the other hand this was such an exciting opportunity after years of stagnation in the same job without much hope for promotion that I just could not let it pass. I'll just have to adapt to the new circumstances and make the best of it.

Running hasn't gone all that well this week, pretty much the first time I can say that since this training cycle began. On Monday I actually felt pretty good but the numbers were rather unimpressive. On Tuesday I felt like the legs were stuck in mud but the numbers were excellent, as good as I have seen all year. On Wednesday morning, now in Dublin, I posted the worst figures in months! I'm not sure what's to blame, the long drive to Dublin maybe, but I've done that journey plenty of times before. The hilly course, the wind, the stress of the move, all of the above?

I went out for a second time that day, for a short run just before dinner. The figures looked much better but the run itself was awful. I felt dehydrated and low on blood sugar - I need to get used to running doubles, I think.

Well, the move was bound to have some impact. I need to see how I feel and adjust accordingly. The worst thing I could do now is push too hard and waste all that great base training I have done so far.

1 May
8 miles, 1:03:45, 7:58 pace, HR 140
2 May
8 miles, 1:04:39, 8:04 pace, HR 135
3 May
am:6 miles, 48:56, 8:09 pace, HR 145
pm:5 miles, 39:37, 7:55 pace, HR 142

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on the move Thomas, congratulations. I made a similar move some years ago, and while daunting, I have never regretted it. I'm sure it will take some time to get settled into a routine. Maybe we will see you around some of the local Dublin races now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the move. Sounds like you needed it. Hope you can work your training in around the new job, especially the recovery part of training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been away from your blog for a couple weeks and than pow you've moved jobs! Best of the luck with the new job.

    ReplyDelete