Sunday, February 05, 2017

Some People

World Record holder
Did you know there are world records for running long distances in full fireman gear? I happen to know the guy who owns the world record for running a marathon in full gear. Incidentally, I was running the same marathon at the time and remember passing him at mile 17. Even more incidentally, I also know the guy who held the record before Alex broke it.

And if that's not mad enough, as of yesterday I also know the guy who has the world record for running 100k in full fireman gear, which now stands at 15:10. If you think that's a bit slow, he took over 7 hours off the previous record. And if you think those are meaningless gimmicks, well, I know where you're coming from but I can assure you that both world record holders are serious runners at international level. Anyway, Congratulations, Andi!

My own running isn't quite at record level right now but it is clearly improving, despite being slightly hampered by yet another annoying cold. Niamh had it a few days ago and now it's my turn. I had a sore throat during the week which was barely noticeable but now I can feel a slight restriction in my chest and my energy levels aren't quite there, though my resting HR is fine and my running HR is actually improving, so it can't be that bad.

The temperatures have dropped towards zero again but I can handle that pretty well (better than my car by the looks of it). It's only when it's mixed with icy cold rain and wind that I don't like it, not that it stops me from running.

My sleep pattern has slipped again; after being quite disciplined at going to bed early for a few weeks my resolve has started to slide again and I can feel the difference straight away. That needs to be sorted out asap, the effect of too little sleep is real and it's not small either. You can forget about marginal gains when you're still yet to get the basics right,

2 Feb
8 miles, 1:03:42, 7:57 pace, HR 153
3 Feb
7 miles, 56:52, 8:07 pace, HR 146
4 Feb
7 miles, 54:15, 7:45 pace, HR 150
5 Feb
8 miles, 1:01:58, 7:44 pace, HR 149

4 comments:

  1. hope y'all feel better soon

    Are you thinking of an alternative gear record attempt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I'd prefer to set "straight" records, unfortunately I'm nowhere near good enough

      Delete
  2. Great marathons coming this year! I've already added some to my list. I'm training for a marathon with SportMe running app which calculates distance, pace, time and calories and adjusts running plans to my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should go for the WR, fastest marathon dressed as a tap - 3:29:55.

    ReplyDelete